Our veterinary medical oncologist and support staff are dedicated to providing compassionate, high-quality, and innovative cancer care for your pet.
Cancer treatments in pets can be safe, with few or no side effects, and can provide long-lasting or complete remission. The key to successful cancer treatment is an early diagnosis and effective treatment regime. We make it our top priority to minimize the risk of complications and emphasize the use of anti-nausea, anti-diarrhea and pain control medications to keep your pet as comfortable as possible, and to maintain a good quality of life throughout their treatment.
The Medical Oncology department at PESCM will work with your primary care veterinarian to provide the comprehensive care your pet needs. Our oncologist has extensive training in a wide range of oncology services and treatments, and access to advanced equipment.
Dr. Zimmerman provides comprehensive medical oncology services, incorporating chemotherapy and immunotherapy protocols. She works collaboratively with other department specialists in surgery and diagnostic imaging to provide our patients with a thoughtfully tailored approach to diagnosis and treatment.
- Blood chemistry evaluations
- Biopsies of masses, internal organs, or bone marrow
- Chemotherapy and immunotherapy
- Management of chemotherapy toxicity when it occurs
- Comprehensive pain management
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Immunocytochemistry & Immunophenotyping
- Minimally-invasive biopsy
- Multi-modality therapy
- Systemic chemotherapy
- Surgical services
- Nutritional support
- Palliative Care/hospice management
- Surgical consultation
The diagnostic process involves tests to identify the type of cancer, as well as “staging” to determine whether the cancer has spread to other areas of the body. Some of the diagnostic techniques that we use in the process may include:
- Complete Staging
- Fine Needle Aspirates & Cytology
- Solid Biopsy & Histopathology
- Blood Chemistry Evaluations
- CT Scanner
- Digital Radiograph (X-Rays)
- Chemotherapy and Targeted therapies
- Palliative Care & Pain Management
- Surgical Oncology
More information coming soon.
PESCM offers a number of clinical studies that may provide some financial and treatment incentives. Studies offer a way to treat your pet’s cancer while hopefully improving the outlook for future pets with cancer.